Sunday, April 23, 2006

I have alluded, but, not talked much about our involvement in Animal Rescue. As a kid I was definatly not an animal person. Infact, we never had any pets apart from the occasional goldfish.

So, what happened? I married Jenn. She had a heart for animals. When we got married and moved to the States (I will tell our story at some point) I "inherited" her dog Oreo. Oreo was a wonderful German Shorthair Pointer who should have died when she was 6 months old due to Parvo, but, by a miracle she survived to live until 17 years. Oreo accepted me and I fell in love with her. We moved to California and Oreo went with us. In August 2001, just as we were getting ready to leave California she had a suspected stoke and died. This ended up being the most painful thing I have ever been through. If I had been told that I would feel like this about an animal even a couple of years before I would have called you crazy. That got me hooked on dogs. I also promised Jenn that we would volunteer for an animal rescue organisation when we moved to North Carolina. Since then we adopted our new Dog in October 2001 and our cats which make up our family. We have also fostered several cats and kittens that have been saved and moved on to new homes.

Over the next few weeks I will post the stories of the members of our family, those who passed through onto new homes and those that are currently foster members of our family.

However, below is a picture of Oreo, the wonderful dog who started it all..


No comments: