Friday, October 24, 2008

So, I finally got to vote in the US yesterday. I took advantage of North Carolina's early voting option. There was still quite a long line and a wait. Voting is also a lot more complicated over here with the different races, both National and local. I had to spend a lot of time researching each one.

Who did I vote for in the big one? I think for those who know me it was fairly obvious, but, I still reviewed all the issues. I meant to go over each on individually on this blog, but, once again time was non-existent. So I will do a quick summary below;

  • Abortion - Palin is the strongest, McCain weak and for the Dems I disagree with both on this. Dems 0 Reps 1
  • Cuba - Agree more with the Dems, not McCain. I believe talking should begin with their leaders. I do not agree with the embargo. Dems 1 Reps 1
  • Economy - Agree a lot more with Obama than McCain, but, I think there are major weaknesses on both platforms. Dems 2 Reps 1
  • Education - A toss up. I agree with parts of both. Dems 2.5 Reps 1.5
  • Energy - I agree more with the Dems on almost everything. My major disagreement is drilling in Alaska as I believe the Technology is there now to keep it clean and environmental. I am pleased that Obama has not discounted Nuclear energy as this would have been a major disagreement for me. McCain is still to far stuck in the old way of doing things. Dems 3.5 Reps 1.5
  • Energy - I think it is a wash. Although I believe we are called to be "stewards" of our Environment and therefore should do everything we can to protect it the science is still not conclusive as to the cause and there is a lot of unnesary hysteria caused by this. Dems 4 Reps 2.
  • Gun Control - I think the 2nd ammendement is mis-understood and there should be gun control. Dems 4.5 Reps 2.5
  • Health Care - Obama's plan is by far the best. McCain's is to be perfectly honest a hodge podge and a joke. However, Obama's plan goes no where near far enough. I think if the constitution was written today with what we know the founding fathers would have made health care a right. "Life, Libery and Happiness" is difficult if one can't afford to go to the doctors. Dems 5.5 Reps 2.5
  • Immigation - Both identical and I don't really agree with either. Dems 6 Reps 3
  • Iraq - Agree 100% with Obama and not at all with McCain. Dems 7 Reps 3
  • Taxes - Agree with Obama, not McCain Dems 8 Reps 4
  • Intangibles - Obama wins this hands down. Why? because he is fresh, but, above all comes across calm under pressure. He also has much more evengelical faith than McCain to ground himself. McCain, the so-called candidate with experience who can handle the pressure has shown himself to be the opposite. He comes across angry and erratic. The fact that he blew is so called best advantage (experience) by chosing Sarah Palin (I have nothing at all against her except there is no way she is ready and I think McCain has put her in a position to fail and be a scape - goat) says to me he cannot make smart decisions. In comparison Obama's choice of Biden, although, I was disspointed, was a safe and sensible choide. Dems 9 Reps 4.
Therefore Obama got my vote. The above is a major, major simplification, but, I at least wanted to express some thought process to my vote.

-Richard

No comments: