Saturday, May 19, 2007

Today was the first "meaningful" game at the new Wembley Stadium. For so long the Mecca of the Football World Wembley was knocked down and re-built. The most controversial decision was to take away the famous twin towers. For me those towers always got the heart beating as I took the walk up Wembley Way. I was lucky to be able to go to several events at the old Stadium. Some of the most memourable where seeing England play there. There game I saw there was England vs USSR in May 1991. England won 3-1. The other memorable England games I saw were a chance to see Brazil in 1992, a 1-1 tie. I also saw the USA play for the first time at Wembley in a 2-0 win to England on two Alan Shearer goals in September 1994.

On of the most special events I went too was actually a non-League cup final. I new some one had a spare press pass so I got to watch the 1995 final between Woking and Runcorn in the press box. Just thinking about the history recorded on that box was amazing (as well as getting free food!!). Woking won the game 2-1.

I also went to one Rugby League Challenge Cup final there. I can't remember who played in the final, but, I do remember Wigan winning because the friend I went with is a Wigan fan.


I also, went to concerts there. The best was taking Jenn, as a surprise to hear one her favourite groups, the Eagles. This was the occasion of the photo (above) in this post, which she took on the way in.

Theses are just a few of my memories of the place. I can't say that Wembley was my favourite place to watch events. It did have the greatest aura and history about it. I think the best place that I have watched a football game was Old Trafford (my favourite though, Spartan Stadium for a San Jose / LA game) and my favourite Stadium of all is Twickenhm, the home of England Rugby. There is no feeling compared to the singing of hymns in unison by everyone in the Stadium such as happens when England fans sing "Swing Low" (for example).

Despite the new facade the history cannot be taken away from the infamous first FA Cup final there in 1923 when thousands of fans ended on the pitch in a 2-0 Bolton win over West Ham, to European Cups, to Euro 2006, to Live Aid to perhaps the most famous and spectacular of all, England winning the World Cup in 1966. Hopefully the new version will have as many memorable events.

-Richard

No comments: