Monday, December 31, 2007

So here it is once again. - New Year's Eve. Another hours away from being over. It's amazing how time can go so quickly. I've been sitting here this morning thinking about the past year all the good, the bad and the ugly. It's certainly been an interesting year and very busy. Here are a few highlights and low lights.....

  • It was a year of anniversaries for me: 30 years ago in September at the age of 8 I knelt and asked Jesus into my heart. Although I was 8 it was a true decision and the most important one that I have ever made. 30 years later I am still His child. Has been easy - no? Have I made slips - Yes!, but, am I still on the path yes!! 10 years ago on May 31st I got married to Jenn the second most important decision that I have made and am still extremely happy with it and could not imagine any other person to spend my life with. 20 years ago on September 30th I left home and went to Bradford University. Again, one of the best choices that I made, not because of the education that I received, but, for the people I met and the experiences and learnings that I received. A major step in growing up as a person but more importantly Spiritually and in understanding experiencing the Fullness of The Spirit. This is why the first anniversary is the most important because it is the foundation and guiding of all others that I make.
  • It was a changing year in many years for our Church life. I did not go to Church as much as I would have liked and wanted to, due to other things in life that we have been called to. The Church got a new Pastor who so far has some good ideas. Our small group also took a change that was tough a first, but, I think through it all have grown. We have done some good studies together with a joint Leadership. Currently we are working on a series on Spiritual Warfare.
  • Our work in Animal Rescue was tough this last year. We have made the decision that we need to cut back some in 2008. We basically got overwhelmed. There is such a need for foster homes and just people who care. We also, for the first time, for involved in some of the human politics of animal rescue. Unfortunately, as in everything, sometimes ego's get involved and people get hurt. Losing Fred, Cumulus and Cassie, as previously mentioned also shook us. However, despite it all we feel strongly that we are doing a work that we are called to and in an organization we believe in so are going to pull back slightly but still work actively in.
  • Our families are doing well. Ourselves we added Pushkin as mentioned in my previous post. Jenn's family are in Huntsville, Texas. Are grandmother is not well, but, hanging in there. We are planning a visit in February and managed to spend some time with them in Houston in March. My family are doing well. My parents came over for there annual visit in October and we had a good time with them. I took a week away and we rented a cabin in Georgia (right) where we all had a really good time.
  • Jenn and I also took a week's vacation this year. We also rented a cabin in Ellijay, Georgia. It was for 10th wedding anniversary. In fact it was the first full week of that I had taken from work since our 5th anniversary when we went to Tennessee. It was a really nice time spending time together, reading, writing and playing games. Nilla also went with us and really enjoyed herself.
  • Work this year was interesting and very, very busy. At the beginning of the year I assumed new responsibility as "North American Training Supervisor". However, at the end of January the "US Laboratory Services" Manager quit. As I was based in the same office as he was I gained that job as an interim position. After doing the job for 5 months I got promoted to it permanently whilst keeping the other job. I did both jobs until November when the Training Job was divided up. I kept some of it, but, the major part was divested to other managers, so basically we all have a role to play in training. I also had to do some travel. I went to some new places: Detroit, Michigan; White Plains, NY; Madison, Wisconsin; and Toronto, Ontario.
  • In sport it was an average year for teams that I support. England Rugby did really well in reaching the World Cup Final. Hartlepool United got promoted to League One and Durham County Cricket Club one their first professional competition. We had a new expansion USL-1 Soccer team in Cary which Jenn and I had Season tickets for and had a good time dragging other friends to as well. However, the big sports news of the Year is the return of the San Jose Earthquakes to MLS starting in April.
  • I read 70 books, which is by far the most that I have read in one year. This is one of the benefits of traveling a chance to read on planes and in airports.
I think that's about the summary. Tomorrow I will work on my goals for 2008.

Happy New Year!!

-Richard

No comments: