Sunday, March 18, 2007

The next poem that I wrote is about a wedding. However, that was not the main purpose. It was to have two themes. A friend of mine at the time was going through a tough situation, so one of the themes was "It'll never happen to me". The second theme was how selfish we are, always thinking about ourselves rather than others. Ironically the poem finishes off three years later... at the time I was single and had no idea of getting married...three years later from writing this poem I was only be three months from being married.

The Wedding

I arrived at the church
A few moments to spare
A crowd already gathered
With a mounting excitement in the air.
The groom's all alone hoping not to be left in the lurch.

As the minutes tick by
The bride is late again.
I'm feeling restless, read the order twice
And start to think about the bloody rain!
Suddenly a commotion. "She's here!" they cry.

All the heads turn in unison
To see the glory of the bride
Shining with radiance and beauty.
By her side her father swelling with pride
He's lost a daughter, but, gained a son.

At last it's over, legally wed.
As I sit there waiting, the organ is grinding away
A friend turs to me and says with a smile
"Just you wait, it'll be you one day!"
"I doubt it!". I said.

Outside the church the cameras are flashing
Picture after picture so that everyone is taken,
By now, it's raining again and is very cold
And I am so hungry that my belly is achein'.
I'm difinately not going through this kind of thing!

On to the reception I go.
I've never seen such a poss gaff
And to be welcomed as "Sir"
By a poked faced usher I had to laugh
And say "You only reap what you sow!"

There's so many people milling around
All seemingly some distant relative or friend
I don't want to drink, don't want to talk:-
I just want to eat. Will this waiting ever end?
Anyway, the toilets must be found.

Sitting down with food at last
An aroma so nice and pleasing to the eye,
But, it's been so long that I can only look
And say to my companion with a wry
Smile. "Don't mind me I'm on a fast."

The speaches start, some in prose, some in poesy,
I think again "I'm never going through this."
As the toasts go on I can only think
Of my fear of speaches. Yes, I'll definately give it a miss.
"Raise your glasses to the couple, for a future so rosy!"

Three years later and all alone
At the front of a church stomach all churning
So, despite what I said on that day above,
I look down the aisle, my bride now coming
And suddenly my stomach begins to groan!

23rd March 1994 - North Acton, London, England.

No comments: