Wednesday, May 14, 2008

I got irritated last night watching some of Hillary Clinton's victory speech in Charleston, West Virginia. I was not irritated that she won, it was a big win that keeps the race going and for a political geek like myself that means more fun. What I got irritated with was two points she made:

  1. She was bragging about her great comeback victory in Indiana. Yes, she was down for a limited time in that State, but, for most of the campaign she was leading and the favourite and even the day before the poll she had up to an 8 point lead which in the final figures shrunk to just over 10,000 vote victory.
  2. The main gripe I have is about Florida and Michigan. I do not know how she can get up there with a straight face and demand those States delegates be allowed to stand. I think a compromise should be worked out because it is not the individual voters fault that their state parties screwed up, but, that is beside the point. The point is that all candidate INCLUDING Clinton signed off on this. At the time it was done she looked like and thought she was going to win by a landslide so this disenfranchisement would not be noticed and would not have an affect. In fact it meant fewer delegates needed and therefore she would get to her target more quickly. Now it hasn't worked out this way she wants to right this great wrong!! Can you imagine what she would have been saying if it was been the other way around now? I don't know how people can listen to this and take it seriously. I never will. The only credit I will give her is leaving her name on the ballot in Michigan when everyone else took theirs off so the folks had no-one else to vote for (despite that she only took 60% of the vote - that must say something) and in Florida she happened to have a find raiser there. Smart, savvy, cut throated and totally hypocritical. Surely people will see through this facade?
-Richard

1 comment:

Jarrett said...

I think everyone except the Hilary camp has seen through the facade. How about that John Edwards endorsement for Obama squashing her news cycle coming out West Virginia.

The folks that are running Obama's campaign are absolutely cunning.