Saturday, July 26, 2008

One Tuesday I took the day off work and we went to Washington D.C. to finally try and see the postponed DC United versus Houston Dynamo Major League Soccer Match. Well, for the second time we did not get too see it because of a power outage that affected RFK Stadium. However, the reason for my post is not this but an observation that both Jenn and I made whilst driving around the City. That is the amount of homeless folks living in and around the parks. It is, in my opinion, criminal, that in the seat of Government of the largest and most powerful Country this can happen. This year we are going through the election where every month the candidates are announcing how many millions of dollars they have all raised and yet, in some cases yards from their offices, homes and legislative buildings there is poverty in the worst case. There has to be something wrong with this picture? I realise I am nieve, utopian and this is a problem World Wide, but, it really struck me and upset me on Tuesday.

-Richard

(as a side note the game was eventually played on Wednesday, but, we could not go. Houston won 2-0 and that was after the game was delayed a couple of hours due to more bad weather and outages)

No comments: