Friday, January 02, 2009

2008 - The Review....and.... 2009 - The Hopes

It's always hard to write a review of a year as there is always good, the indifferent and the bad. So, I will try and compartmentalize it into sections -

  • Church - This was a tough year as far a church was concerened. We got to the point where we are more and more dissatisfied with the one we were attending. However, we are still part of a good small group that has generally made a lot of progress. For 2009 the goal is simple and this is perhaps the most important one that I have, we need to find a church were are comfortable in, can attend regularly and be involved.
  • Friends / Family - This was a tough year for so many people we know. We ourselves lost Jenn's Grandmother. We also got closer to some people through this to where I would say we have much stronger bonds with more people than we have since we moved to North Carolina. For 2009 it is simple I hope and pray that everyone has a much better and "smooth" year.
  • Snowflake - A good year for us for Snowflake. We adopted out nearly 30 cats and saved about the same amount. For the group as a whole we adopted out about 115 and saved about 120 with only less than 20 getting returned. For 2009 we want to pull back slightly in what we do to allow is time to focus on things such as Church, relationships and above all to have some valuable down time. Something that did not happen much in 2008.
  • Work - No changes (for once) in the job that I am doing, but, it was a very stressful year with the economy starting to hit. I had to travel more this year than I have had to previously. I guess for 2009 it is a matter of hoping for Status Quo with jobs being slashed around the globe surviving would be good!!
  • Sports - 2008 was a good year on the sporting front. It started well with the Giants winning the Super Bowl. Football (soccer) was good from the point of view that The Earthquakes are back and did better than expected. Hartlepool United survived in League 1, but, seem to have gone slightly backwards. The RailHawks were very disappointing in their second season. I also started to play indoors again, a very scary proposition. Alas, the level of play is still no good!! On the Rugby front West Hartlepool one their league to be promoted to North Division 1 and so far they have held their own with a solid mid-table position at the half way point. The only bad thing was losing to Rovers (albeit with a much weekend team) on Boxing Day. Durham became county champions in cricket which was an outstanding performance. These are the teams that I really care about. For the others that I follow they all had mediocre seasons. For 2009 another Championship would be good, with The Giants giving me the best shot with a repeat, although, I fear that is unlikely.
  • Citizenship - A guess my biggest personnel achievement becoming an American Citizen in October just in time to vote. I think this qualifies for the photo of the year (below).

In Summary 2008 was a very busy, too busy and way too stressful. It's by far the most stressed I've felt in my life. For 2009, yes it's going to be busy and stressful, but, I need to reduce it somewhat and I think actions like cutting back a bit here and there, finding a good church, continuing to read, listen and play music and continuing to develop close friendships will help.

Happy 2009!!!

-Richard

No comments: