Tuesday, October 06, 2009

On Saturday I went to see U2 in concert. One of the bands that I really have wanted to see live. The concert was at the home of North Carolina State University, Carter -Finley Stadium.

It was well worth it. The concert was excellent. The thing I like about U2 is that apart from the good, tight musicianship and entertainment they have a relevant message. They are political without being biased. By that I mean they jump on just causes, but, do not publicly endorse a party. For example on Saturday they thank both the John Edwards family, a very liberal democrat and the Jesse Helms family a right wing Conservative for both supporting their cause against poverty One.org

They also have a spiritual element. One of my all time favourite songs is "Pride" and the line "One Man came in the name of Love" always gives me goose bumps. Unfortunately they did not sing that song on Saturday. One thing they did sing was the first verse to "Amazing Grace" which most of the 60,000 crowd sang. Talk about goose bumps.

The other thing about the concert I really like was the opening act, an English band called Muse. I had never heard of them, but, thoroughly enjoyed them and would recommend them. I am in the process of listening to their latest album "The Resistance". They are not the typical run of the mill modern group, but, more of a concept and varied sound. At least Jenn can't say to me now that I don't listen to modern "Popular Music".

-Richard

No comments: