I didn't go to Church today because I have picked up some virus and did not feel so good. So, I spent some time thinking. A dangerous thing I know. I guess my thoughts started by focusing on health care as it's so predominant in the news circles in the US at the moment, but, then I went beyond to a concept that we as a society seems to have lost. Plainly and simply what is right and what is wrong. We spend to much time focusing on how something fits within a Political Position, an economic position, a religious position or a nationalistic position without looking outside to what is the right thing to do. Perhaps if our leaders in Congress, Washington, the Duma etc.. could get away from lobbyists, special interests, irrational fears and simply do what is best for the vast majority of their people, not the minority the World we live in will be such a better place. I am idealistic. Absolutely!! I am thinking Utopian. Absolutely!! Am I being unrealistic. Unfortunately yes!! This Country I now call him was founded on ideals such as these, but, it did not take long for them to get lost. Some examples of what I am talking about starting with my pet peeve:
- Health Care. It is right that everyone can get health care and not worry about it. It is wrong that so many people can't most through no fault of their own. It is wrong that Government or the Private section make this impossible.
- It is wrong that some unborn babies do not get a chance
- It is wrong that in the 21st Century so many people cannot have somewhere to live or nothing to eat whereas as others have so much they do not know what to do with.
- It is wrong that a CEO can earn millions whilst spitting out the minimum wage worker who earns that for them and does not care that they lose everything they have.
- It is wrong that Trillions of Dollars are spent on Military's around that World and that the vast majority of people have nothing.
- It is plain wrong that billions or people around the world are scared for their safety, are scared for their future are scared what the next day will bring whilst a small, small percentage live in mansions taking everyone else for what they have.
About two thousand years ago a guy called Jesus walked the face of the Earth. A series at Church is talking about what if 86'd or took Jesus out of the equation where would Christianity be, or what would it be? The answer is nothing. Now, taking this a step further. Jesus was a historical figure, his teaching recorded in many forms, not just The Christian Gospels. If you believe in God, Jesus is the Son of God or neither, but, just acknowledge that he was a good historical teacher look at his teachings. "Give to the poor", "heal the sick", "live in Peace", "love your enemy as your self", "take care of the little children". This is no different to what two thousand odd years later I have just said. Two thousand years of staggering scientific progress and knowledge. Tremendous technological developments, but, where are we really? In exactly the same position that Jesus talked about as he traveled along the Sea of Galilee.