Friday, April 06, 2007

Easter is always a very important time of the year for me. It makes me very angry in how todays culture the greatest event in the worlds history has been trivialised to almost a non-event. The Passion, Sacrifice and Resurrection of Christ is life changing, history changing and ultimely the event the whole axis of the world will revolve around.

For many years over this weekend, starting back in 1991 until just before we left England to move to the US in 1998 (infact in 1998 we had to leave a day early so we could go to the US Embassy in London to get my Visa) I went with David, my closest friend and many other friends to a Butlins Holiday Camp in the Lincolnshire town of Skegness. It is event called Spring Harvest, a meeting of about 8,000 Christians who get together to play, learn and Celebrate. It was always cold (except one year - pictured left at the Easter Sunday Morning Sunrise Service), it was always fun and above all it was always a time of Spiritual refreshment and growth. Many, many happy memories were had there. I was thinking about it last night during the Maundy Thursday service at Church and took a trip down memory lane. One of the best times was the last time I went when I was able to take Jenn with me. She had heard about the event many times over the years, but, as we spent our first year of married life in England she was able to come. She had a great time and had a chance to understand why it was so important and special to me. We hope one day to get the chance to go back again. The photo above is a group picture taken from that year just before we left.

The other really good Easter retreat I had was during a trip to Europe during a visit to France and Spain during the Easter of 1989. My best friend Louise, was in Pamplona, Spain during a Placement at University. During this visit I went with her Church to their Easter retreat at a small town called Alsasua. Despite not understanding a word of Spanish, just the fellowship with other Christians was enough to gain a blessing. Alsasua is in the Pyranees (above) so there was fantastic countryside as well as companionship. I even one the Church chess tournament whilst I was there. I also visit some other friends in Europe during that little Easter Vacation: Julie in Oviedo, Spain, Pauline in La Rochelle France (Right) and Jane in St. Nazaire, France. A great trip.

I guess this "favourite" place post ended up more in a favourite time of the year post. It is my favourite time of the year so is totally appropriate.

Remember the meaning of Easter, and especially today, Good Friday.

-Richard

No comments: