Sunday, April 22, 2007

Yesterday, finally, was the first game for the USL Division 1 Football team here in the triangle:- The Carolina RailHawks. The result was 1-1 draw with the Minnesota Thunders. Although there was not a win I thought it a very solid performance. For the first half they especially played well and I was pleasantly surprised with the performance. The weakness, in my opinion, was the forwards. Neither showed much movement or an ability to keep the ball, wheras I thought the midfield played very well. The lack of decision around the penalty box should come with time.

There was a very good atmosphere in the Stadium. I think a massive thanks should go to Jarrett who has done a fantastic job of organising the supporters club and section. It must have been a proud day for him to see all his work come to fruition.

Jenn and I also realised how much we missed going to games, and especially having a team we could go live to and be emotionally invested in. It's been a roller coaster few days for the "Football Fan" side of me with Hartlepool gaining promotion, but, bad news on the chances of the Quakes coming back and then the excitment of the opening night.

It's going to be a fun first season. Below is a photo that Jenn took of out inaugural game tickets and program, which I "borrowed" from her flickr account.


-Richard

No comments: