Sunday, September 02, 2007

Yesterday there was a big upset in College Football when Appalachian State, from North Carolina, beat one of the most storied programs and the 5th ranked team in the country in their stadium. I love upsets (unless one of my sides are on the losing end!!). I think this is why Soccer is so special. It is arguably the major sports where upsets are most likely to happen on any given day. There are so many examples. Hereford United non-league team beating Newcastle United, York City beating Arsenal even my Hartlepool beating Crystal Palace. It's part of the excitement. This year I was there when the Carolina RailHawks beat the Chicago Fire.

In other sports American Football, Rugby, Cricket, Basketball etc... yes, upsets can happen, but, how regularly? For example the game yesterday was the first time a non-1A team had beaten a ranked opponent and as I mentioned in my previous post, Durham as a Minor County beat Yorkshire in cricket. Fans of lower teams, dream of the big one and in Soccer the dream has a little more chance to come true.

-Richard

No comments: