Sunday, June 29, 2008

Is I start what will be undoubtedly be my last book of the 24hr read-a-thon it is interesting what my main theme was. The American Indian. This was not deliberate as, like I mentioned in my first post, I read the books in the order that I bought them so it just happens that three of the five are about that subject. It is something that is near and dear to my heart as my wife is 50% Indian and the vast majority of that Cherokee. I want to learn as much as possible about the subject, including one day the languaue. The way these people were made to suffer and still do make me very, very, angry and ashamed. Why ashamed? Because I am 7/8th English and it was originally the English, or British immigrants that started and encouraged this genocide. Even today, they are still discriminated against, a vast majority are under the poverty line and have numerous problems. Where are the National media and Politicians fighting for them? I could go on and on, but, as I want to keep reading I will close it this for now with one last comment. I am glad I married my wife, not just because I fell in love with her and love her very, very, much, but, also for the things she had taught me and I have gained. One being the Indian heritage the she and her family have.

-Richard

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I hope you'll post more about the books you've read here later on. I be interested in reading what you thought about them.

Ana S. said...

I know...the situation is still appalling. Last year I read quite a few books by Native writers and I couldn't believe the things that still go on all over the New World. The book sounds very interesting...hopefully it will keep you going for this last stretch.

Care said...

Not many countries histories can say that the indigenous populations were well-treated.

You write beautiful sentiments about your wife, so sweet.

Eva said...

Isn't it funny how themes emerge in writing? I'm too tired to talk about the bigger issues right now though. ;)